My cold has receded to an irritating tickly hack cough, very annoying and very unsatisfying!
Unfortunately I don’t think I could handle 300K with it…I suspect the cold would come back and wipe me out! So I have opted out of tomorrows 300K Audax 🙁
So on my way home I started scheming up replacement cycling activities that I could do that would not be to strenuous and would be fun! so I called up Rafe, to see if I could drag him out for a ride…The answer was NO…but he did say a few interesting things…
1) He has been reading my blog for years and he is waiting for me to write something profound…..
So here is a profound statement for you Rafe….
It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Greg LeMond on cycling
2) People keep asking him about how to train for 100 mile bike ride, and he has written this guide…
I completely agree…I personally do not use energy drinks, gels or any other sports supplements, Graham Obree in his Training Manual says Sport Energy products are made for one reason alone..To make the manufacturers money…in his view the best sports food is Pilchards on Toast.
I would go as far as to say there are 3 ways to ride a century, based on your current comfortable distance…
1) Ride 25 miles to a tea shop – stop for tea and cake. repeat a further 3 times
2) Ride 33 miles to a tea shop- stop for tea and cake. repeat a further 2 times
3) Ride 50 miles to a tea shop – stop for tea and cake – ride home
Most of my rides fall into category 3… Any body can ride for 50 miles 🙂
When I got home I changed into cycle gear and headed out for a nice slow leisurely ride….Well that’s the way it started anyway, then I started spinning along at a nice high cadence and my speed picked up, then I was racing myself!
Every time I relaxed and took it easy I started coughing, when I was working hard I was ok!
The Garmin had the ride as 21.23 miles in 1 hour 6 minutes with an average speed of 19.3 mph, route here…
I am now contemplating where to cycle to tomorrow…