A couple of months ago I had to make room in the shed and my old Peugeot Optimum 14 came into view, it was looking quit sad for itself, with flat tyres and plenty of surface corrosion.
I stopped using it because I could no longer source spares easily, It had oval Biopace chain rings that I could no longer source, it was also narrow (126mm) rear hub spacing, as I had a new Tiagra groupset lying around, and fancied a new project I thought I would strip it down and refurbish it… (I also said to wifey it would be cheap – I may have underestimated!!!)
SO I stripped ALL the strip-able bits of the frame and put them to one side, that took all of about an hour!
I then cold set the rear chain stays to 130 mm, using a long 2×4 (See Sheldon Browns wonderful guide here…)
I then set too with a scrubbing pad on an angle grinder…
This stripped the easy to get to tubes quickly and did not damage any steel at all 🙂 This then left the difficult to get to bits! For these bits I used a battery drill and rotary wire brush (I bought a whole kit of them!)
I then ended up with a frame back to bare metal (No chemicals used at all)
To get to this point took about 10 hours! but as you can see, there was no sign of any corrosion!
I then spent another quality couple of hours with 1200 grit wet and dry, rubbing out any roughness left by the power tools, It also removed the impossible to reach bits of paint!
I then blanked off all the threaded holes, inserted some old BB shells and made a spraying jig out of an old metal tube I had lying around…
I then wiped down the frame with rubbing alcohol, to remove any grot and grime left form sanding and my fingerprints! (At this point I no longer touched the frame with bare hands)
I suggested to wifey that I couldn’t wait for summer to prime the frame as it was already tarnishing, and surprisingly she agreed I could set up a spray bay in the front porch (Providing I covered everything to protect for spray/dust)
So I set up the workmate and sprayed 5-6 coats of Zinc Primer (leaving around 10 minutes between each coat)
I left it 24 hours to cure completely (It was touch dry in around an hour)
It was then given a light rub using 2000 grit wet and dry, it was then silky smooth again 🙂
I gave it another wipe over with a soft cloth to remove any dust…
The Zinc Primer was nice, didn’t smell to much, very little overspray and no mess, so I thought I may as well go on and do the top coat – This was a BIG mistake! It stinks, the paint is carried in suspension everywhere (like a bomb blast area everything now has a red dust on it)…I will NEVER spray paint in the house again!
I may not have chosen the easiest of colours (Firecracker Red with Gold Pearl), but why make it easy 🙂
It was given around 6-7 coats leaving around 10 minutes between coats, it ended up smooth but quite dull, and there was very little sign of the gold pearl… I left it for around 12 hours to cure, then I fitted the decals…
It was then taken back to the spray bay and given 6-7 coats of clear lacquer, this both sealed the decals and brought the shine out 🙂
It took about 2 hours total time to prime, colour and clear coat the frame/forks.
I polished the quill stem, seat post and chrome headset components and refitted them..
I then fitted new Bottom Bracket shells, Cranks, Rear Mech, Front Mech, Cassette, Wheels, Handlebars, Brifters, Front/Rear brakes, Brake Cables and Bottle Cages (I thought red ones would look cool…I was wrong), I swapped them for Black!
Next was Chain, and Gear Cables (Gears were then Indexed), I thought Red Bar tape would be cool (I was wrong)
I swapped the Bar Tape for Black…Now that is cool 🙂
I took it out for its first ride today, I gotta say its damn quick and fun 🙂
Strava session here…
I am very pleased with the way it has turned out, I was a little unsure if it was the right thing to do, but now I believe it was definitely the right approach, it has all of the classic looks but with modern functionality.
Just to finish it off completely, I have a new set of wheels (cheap) turning up tomorrow 🙂